Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Overall Rating for "The Ramsay Scallop"


Bostan Said.......
I really liked this book, the characters were very good. Not always one to love them but i liked them even if i wasn't fond of them. Personally i liked Elenor from the beginning but i grew to like Thomas. The only really draw backs were Elenor's age and some of the religion talk. Like in Robin hood i could handle it but some of the religion ideas went a little to varied and gullible for the characters. With Elenor's age i wish she was at least 15 or 16, the age gap is really nothing (I am guessing she is 14 and he is at least 23 to 25) But i just so wish she was a year or two older. That was a draw back, but i really liked this book any way. It was a very good pick! So i give this book a 4/6, i really liked it!

Lain Said.......

I deeply liked this book. I thought it had very realistic and lovable characters. I think all of the characters grew with the story, which is good, because if you read a story and they stay the same, it is not realistic because, people are shaped and molded by the things they undergo. I also like how not every little thing worked out right away. I did how ever like the happy ending. The only thing that I would have changed, is that I wish it told more at the ending. Other than that, I LOVED the book, and would not have changed a thing. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. I checked this book out of my local library and enjoyed it so much that I read it three times, and then went and purchased my own copy online. I didn't want the story to end where it did. I would have loved to follow Eleanor and Thomas on their journey home to England as well. But aside from that, this book was incredibly engrossing. The prose has a bit of a disjointed feel at first, but once you get used to Ms. Temple's writing style, the story flows very well. I'm glad she decided to write Eleanor as a fourteen year old and Thomas as a man of around twenty-two, because such an age difference (and Eleanor's extremely young age) was common in noble marriages at that time, and it lends more realism to the story. (See 'Catherine, Called Birdy' by Karen Cushman, which takes place in 1290-1291, where Catherine's father is attempting to marry her off for profit to a series of suitors who are many years older than her, at the age of 13, before she's even started menstruating)

    ReplyDelete